Thursday, September 7, 2006

Reality Check

I am coming from a culture where life is valued.

Maybe this is because I am removed from death and the dying. Dealing with the dying is not a part of my daily life. It was for a brief moment. But my father had a different personality than the rest of his siblings. He lived life to the fullest, and he clung on to it to till the very end. I did not have to deal with a person who had lost hope.

Maybe I would see things differently if my father had been different. It is easy for me to say that my relatives must give my uncle the will to live. It is difficult for me to see a perspective in which it is better for him to die.

Even before he had the stroke that has left him in need of physical therapy to regain the full use of his left arm and leg, he had nearly lost his eyesight and had difficulty walking. He lacked the desire to deal with his diabetes, and his wife it seems has always been against any serious medical treatment whether it was for her parents or now for her husband.

Should I let it go (my principles and values of life, doing good, being responsible)
and face “reality”?

No comments: