Saturday, September 9, 2006

a nurse

“Four mental patients and a little girl,” that is how my phupa describes the situation at my thaya’s house.

Today we brought over a nurse. He described what sort of care he can provide. My aunt felt she could do everything herself, and she did not want a stranger in the house. It is useless to reason with her. She is not sane. But it is her house, and it is she who must willingly accept a nurse to assist her. Tonight I go back to try to convince her son, another crazy person, that the nurse is a good idea. If he says no, I can’t give up. I have to show up at the house with the nurse. He might let us in and see that it is beneficial for him that the nurse be allowed to help, that his life can be easier; or he might not even open the door for us.

The real question for me is when do I stop? I know I am not as good as my brother when it comes to dealing with these crazy people.

No comments: