Thursday, September 7, 2006

Taking Action

How do I take action in a social system built upon principles that are different from my own?

I guess my own values are:
-giving love,
-doing good,
-being just,
-fulfilling duty,
-being free,
-having knowledge,
-and taking action.

The values of my family in Pakistan are:
-showing respect,
-not violating a code of honor,
-obeying authority,
-and being fatalistic.

When I told my relatives last night that they can’t let my uncle die like this, that they have to give him hope, and that I will do whatever I can to help, regardless of who gets in my way; I may have let my emotions take over, I raised my voice to those who are older than me. I wasn’t alone in the room. There were other relative there who say that they feel the same as me, that what is going on is not right. But over the past month they have been unable to take action.

So when I said what I said. I expect support.

But instead my cousin tells me that she thinks I should not have raised my voice to an elder. I told her that regardless of what people think about me or what I did, it is more important to save the life of my uncle, that in the end that is the goal. I don’t care if people think of me as disrespectful. I believe that we will be held accountable to God as individuals. And I don’t believe he will punish me for raising my voice to an older cousin and aunt who I believe are inadvertently killing my uncle and relatives who sit idly by letting it happen.

No comments: