Thursday, April 7, 2005

the siddiqui way

just some more thinking out loud. I’d drafted some rules for success in theworld of small business. After thinking about it somemore, I’m narrowing the focus to the world of professional service firms. I’m also making them more personal, they are rules that I’m now setting for myself. I say "setting" because i can see my deficiencies and know the following things have to be sustained for continued success, inshallah. here’s a revised version with explanations: Working for a living requires interaction with others. To have lasting relationships with others. I need to... 1-Be Selfless: Consider the needs of others. Seek the welfare of my family, friends, neighborhood, clients, industry, and environment; in that order. Be there to help be a part of the solution when i'm called on. The service I provide and the way I provide it should not cause harm. I believe being good opens doors; or at least it may clear my sight enough to see the doors that I need to open... 2-Be Trustworthy: Hire people I can Trust. Often in the world of professional firms, the client will hire the services of my firm because of me. There are many small firms that offer similar services but the client may hire mine because of who I am. The client is placing a trust in me, not just my company. The work done by my employees has a direct impact on my reputation. A small firm has a more personal working environment, where the technicians and staff are often directly visible to the executives. There can be no shifting of blame by the executives. In a small business there is no excuse for bad work. The executives are directly to blame for the failure to meet requirements. So, if I am an executive or a manager, I need to be able to trust the staff; that they are in fact doing what is required of them when I am not looking. They need to trust me; that I am not using them for my own gain without any consideration for their needs. The employer/employee relationship requires trust. Trustworthiness is the most important characteristic to look for when hiring. Not family, Not religion. Just because people have the same blood or pray to the same God, does not mean they are trustworthy. But often, the people I can trust most are family and friends. That doesn’t mean they make the ideal employee. Showing favoritism to some employees over others undermines the trust they place in me... Working for a living requires doing work. To compete in the world of professional service firms. I need to... 3-Be Motivated: Want to do it. Have the drive required to provide the service and run the business; the drive to accomplish the task. Be the first one in and last one out. Being motivated is not like being selfless and trustworthy. Being motivated is not related to my actions towards others. Being motivated is a state of mind. It comes and goes. When I have it I will succeed... 4-Be Professional: Do it right. The work I am being contracted to do needs to be done according to the standards set by the industry. The client is expecting professional work when a professional is hired. The way I deal with my employees should be professional. They are expecting to be compensated for the work they do, on time, and with the benefits that are common to the industry. Being professional is about the actual work, and the actual running of the business, not people. Being professional is not like being selfless or trustworthy. Being professional is not like being motivated. In fact, it requires motivation. Being professional is based on the knowledge and skills that I acquire through a class, a teacher, a mentor, or a book... Working for a living requires a paper trail. To have a trouble free relationship with clients. I need to... 5-Get every thing in writing... 6-Follow up on invoices... Just because I am trustworthy does not mean my clients are. These two rules deal with specificactions that must be done before and after the work is done. For these actions to be successful I need assistance from other professionals. People who study law and accounting need to be tapped. These two rules also require systems and structures to be set up in the company to ensure that they are done. Having some management skills helps... Working for a living can become a drag. To have happiness and relieve the stress of running abusiness. I need to... 7-Enjoy the Profits... Spread the wealth. Give the employee who deserves it a bonus. There are things I and my employees want to do besides work, things that bring joy to life, to family, to friends, to community. Do them before death. That's the lesson I learned from my father. I will call these rules: "THE SIDDIQUI WAY"

No comments: