Saturday, April 2, 2005

never hire a muslim?!?

last weekend, during dinner at the Longhorn Muslim Reunion, as we divided into career groups, i was asked what i have to say about being a business man. As one of dude's i was talking to lives in Middle-Of-Nowhere, America. He feels that Muslims should help each other more. I replied by saying: "rule No.1 of running a business:Don't hire Muslims!! it makes trying to get anything done on friday's impossible!" He looked upset... confused... How can someone he knew to be an awesome leader of the best Muslim Students Association in any american university say something like this!?! (yes, I said AWESOME!)... A former roommate of mine added something about family. I then corrected myself: "OH! Yes! I'm such a fool, FAMILY... Nevermind what i said before, Scratch it! New Rule No.1... Don't hire Family!! Rule No.2... Don't hire Muslims!" The confused dude looked even more shocked by the turn this conversation was taking... I said I was absolutely serious. To do business with family or muslims differently just because they are that, only means you are relaxing your professional standards and will later get kicked in the ass. If it goes bad you will be the one considered bad family or greedy muslim. never compromise your professional standards!... They asked me when the book was coming out? Hey, first I'd have to make up some more rules. no one would pay me good money for a two line book!! and so... i went on to elaborate on the rules for success in the stressfull world of small business. imagine the cover: a big 2 with a slash through it and a small 5 written next to it by hand also slashed out with a smaller 7 written next to that... "RULES FOR SUCCESS IN SMALL BUSINESS" by Asad I. Siddiqui... The Accidental Business Man! Now... I present to you a rough outline of my rules: - Rule No.1: There is no Fight Club no really... Rule No.1: Be a Good Human Being... - Rule No.2: Be Professional in what you Do... - Rule No.3: Say No to Family and Friendship ties... - Rule No.4: Say No to Religious ties... - Rule No.5: Get Everything in Writing... - Rule No.6: Follow up on Invoices... - Rule No.7: Enjoy the Profits... (when in doubt, refer to rule 1 and 2) No MBA required!!... they are completely obvious rules, completely common sence, but so easy to fall into temptation and ignore... i know them because i see the consequences of violating them every single day! peace and love.

No comments: