Friday, June 25, 2010

purification vs. activism

a few days ago i had the joy of talking about my old days of being active in a youth group. first it was with a new friend here in kansas city who i may have crossed paths with back in the mid 90s. he is just like me now and no longer really active. and then it was with an old friend who is still active. these conversations i had got me thinking about a recurrent theme in my thoughts about activism.

selfish motiviations vs. utopian agendas

My concept of Ummah...
Community...
Brotherhood...

I've read the biography of the prophet Muhammad. and I've read the biographies of some of his closest companions. My take on what they were trying to do is this. they viewed Islam as NOT about creating some sort of ideal social order but more about fullfilling Personal Responsibilities so you could get rewarded by Allah in this world and the Afterlife. a reward in this world was tranquillity, peace of mind, happiness. a reward in the afterlife was a pleasure from being in permanent proximity to the Beloved. Thus, i must do my duty...

I have a duty, an obligation, to my lord, to myself, my parent, my spouse, my child, my sibling, my neighbor, my friend, "widows and orphans", other believers.
in that order!

as for my lord, he tells me i must believe in his oneness and do good deeds.
he also tells me i must worship him and fast and give 2.5%of my wealth away in charity

aside from the pillers of worship, the duties and obligations are all good deeds.

towards myself, I have a duty to keep myself healthy and sane.

...my parent, I must show them respect for all they did for me and care for them when they are not able to care for themselves.

...my spouse, I must be a pillar of support, an honest partner, and a loving companion.

...my child, I must feed, clothe, shelter, nurture, protect, and teach about Allah.

...my sibling, I must encourage, support, warn, advise, and be there when I am needed.

...my neighbor, I must greet, smile, get to know, and care

...my friend, know if there is a problem and offer to help before i am even asked.

...towards "widows and orphans" i must give money to clothes, feed, and shelter as I would my own family.

...towards other believers i must be there when they're own family, friends, neighbors fail them.

No comments: