Tuesday, March 29, 2005

love

what is love? for some its simply an emotion that drives one towards a loving action like a kiss or a hug or a tear. the root of the compassion that feeds merciful acts. for others its a mystical abstract notion that gives order to the universe, the answer to the question "why?" the reason for being. is it this or that? a real emotion or abstract concept?

can't it be both?...a Rabia al-Basri poem: "I know about love the way the fields know about light, the way the forest shelters, the way an animal's divine raw desire seeks to unite with whatever might please its soul - without a single strange thought of remorse. There is a powerful delegation in us that lobbies every moment for contentment. How will you ever find peace unless you yield to love the way the gracious earth does to our hand's impulse."

...a poem by Hafiz: Because the Woman I love lives inside of you, I lean as close to your body with my words as I can -and I think of you all the time, dear pilgrim. Because the One I love goes with you wherever you go, Hafiz will always be near. If you sat before me, wayfarer, with your aura bright from your many charms, my lips could resist rushing you, but my eyes, my eyes can no longer hide the wonderous fact of who you really are. The Beautiful One whom I adore has pitched His royal tent inside of you, so I will always lean my heart as close to your soul as I can."

No comments: