Sunday, January 2, 2005

why i CAIR not (part 1) real action

let me clarify, he who contacted me WAS honest with me. i was told that a tv news crew was coming. i try to give people the benefit of doubt. i just think that media events are not what we need to be doing. the false impression i got was all me. the organizers have nothing to do with me expecting MORE out of my leaders, and organizations that claim to speak for me. yes, local chapters are sort of independant, but some how, through CAIR, a local who used to be a social worker is now little more than a PR guy. i know him, he is very sincere, and i participate when he asks me. and hey, it would be great for americans to think islam and muslims are good. but, i want real good deeds to be the cause. the media should tell people about these good deeds, news of it will allow others to help the deed have a bigger impact. if in the process they change their mind about muslims, great!... think Habitat For Humanity, or the ACLU, that's real action. thats all i desire, real action, not media events. CAIR national encourages a mentality of media events, activism for the camera. i don't mean to imply that the particular media event was designed for CAIR's self promotion. but, i also don't deny that many activists in CAIR, just like ISNA and others, tend organize more events that are to sustain themselves then anything else. i hate this. the orgs with the means to get things done are the ones who DO the least, and TALK the most (as if conferences and press events are real action)! peace.

No comments: