Tuesday, January 4, 2005

instead of complaining

let me put my reaction in context. i cry when i think of the death and distruction the tsunami caused. my dua and charity will continue to be directed there for some time to come. i don't think i have to remind the people who know me of my activist history when i voice my opinions damn it... i don't complain about media. i don't think the media is as important as others think it is (i should say news media to be more specific). and i should say that i DO give local CAIR reps constructive suggestions when they make mistakes, and supportive compliments when they do good, i'm no rookie when it comes to adab... now... in reaction to my post, i was told: "do a similar event YOURSELF that's better! stop pointing fingers!" i care for my community and i HAVE done better events that got great media coverage. i like to think that i've earned the right to point ANY finger at ANY org... another thing i heard: "become part of the solution!? join em, work with them from the outside, whatever! but stop this ranting every time someone makes a mistake! its NOT helping!" This is the comment that i'm most tired of hearing! i spent several years working with MSA or volunteering with or helping local CAIR reps organize things for many many years. i spent the last few years trying to work with ISNA. and since 1996, i've organized or supported events for Islamic Relief. so tommorow, if i decide i want to rant about them, i will. AND... no one should call me to JOIN jamat-tabligh, jamat-islami, ikhwan, or some other group that i'm fundamentally opposed to. i don't care if it helps or not, i WILL rant about the reasons why i oppose them (if i have to). we should discuss mistakes that are made by muslims. we should share and discuss our unorthodox ideas. all i do is voice my frustrations (rants) once in a while. OK... i'm going to go chill out now :) peace and love.

No comments: